[ODE] Hinge-2 suspension stops

Arturo Colorado Garín acolorado at telefonica.net
Mon Sep 27 00:45:40 MST 2004

Hi:

1) I'm using hinge-2 joints to attach the four wheels of my simulated car to
its chassis. I've managed to set stops for rotation around a hinge-2's axis1
(the "steering axis"). Is there any way to set translation (suspension)
stops also? I've found a quite old message that said this is not possible
but I hope it has been already added to ODE.
I really need to specify the maximum amount the suspension can be
compressed/stretched because, under some circumstances, the chassis (which
is much heavier than the wheels) can force the wheels to reach positions
that are totally incorrect.

2) To control the steering angle of the front wheels, is it a good solution
to change dParamLoStop and dParamHiStop joint parameters to be equal to the
angle every time it is changed? Other alternative would be applying torques
to the wheels but a high enough force could rotate the wheels (or even
worse, rotate just one) which is something I want to avoid.

Thanks a lot for your help.

--Arturo.