[ODE] Making it build again

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Sep 23 22:56:51 MST 2004

I updated CVS today (haven't done so in a while) and found that
some things didn't build cleanly (or at all) like they used to.

The problems were:

- A return to bool from int (this is a warning on MSVC, which in
  turn turns into an error because you should always have treat
  warnings as errors turned on.
- SimpleUnclippedTest() returns data through a double&, which
  doesn't work in the dReal-is-float case.
- Signed/unsigned mis-matches.
- An unreferenced local variable.

The diffs are also available on my web site as
http://www.speakeasy.net/~hplus/ode-0409.txt

I didn't do the forensics to figure out who broke this, and how
long ago it was, but I would hope that anyone with commit
privileges will at least run the source through all possible
warnings on their compilers, on the float and double dReal
settings. Later versions of GCC would have caught most of these
problems (though not all), too.

Yeah, I know, it's thankless to be a maintainer -- but couldn't
at least a regression compile be set up? What about the
SourceForge build farm stuff? Does anyone have a Windows box
that 1) has VC++ 7.1, 2) is on the 'net all the time and 3) can
script it to get-and-build once a day, and mail the output
somewhere if there are failures? (I'm lacking #2).

Cheers,

			/ h+

--
  "Consider a spherical cow of uniform density..." -- Feynman