[ODE] Particles

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Mon Sep 20 14:24:46 MST 2004

What is a particle? If it's for a particle system, then you probably
want to have some extent to the particles. At that point, a sphere
with an appropriately small radius is the best way to do it.

Actually, the difference in math between particle and sphere is so
small that using spheres with millimeter radius should be fine, even
if you want "point" particles. The only caveat would be that a small
object can travel THROUGH certain surfaces (most notably trimeshes)
through tunneling, so you might want to use rays or ccylinders based
on the particle speed.

I don't doubt that a cool wrapper could be written on top of ODE for
a particle system with ccylinders for each sphere-sized particle, but
I belive that such code could (and should) sit on top of ODE, rather
than be (or have to be) integrated.

Cheers,

			/ h+