[ODE] Player control

David Scherfgen David_Scherfgen at gmx.de
Fri Sep 17 15:21:38 MST 2004

Hi,

I've succeeded in creating a simulated 3D world with ODE, and now I'm
trying to add the player. I want the player to be able to truly interact
with the environment in a realistic way, so the player should be a real
ODE body with geoms attached to it.
I tried it with a simple box but got several problems. I needed enormous
forces to move the player forward or to rotate it because of the
friction. When the player was not on the ground, it kept flying and
rotating forever - I guess I need some kind of damping to simulate air
resistance.
Has anyone ever done this? Anyone know how other games do it?
Another question: How do I find out if the player is on the ground? Is
it sufficient to create some rays under the player and check if they
intersect the world?

Thanks for any answers!
David Scherfgen