Mailing list -> forum (was: Re: [ODE] list archive broken)

Mike Reinstein web_fella at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 7 19:19:00 MST 2004

I would like to take this opportuunity to add my 2 cents.

Forum software can easily be modified to get the best of both worlds...phpbb
already has topic reply notification capabilities that will email people
watching the thread. This could be extended to have the forums send the
content of the posts in much the same way they are being sent by the mailing
list. This has several beneficial consequences:

a) it provides a much, much nicer interface for storing answers to these
issues that come up
b) it provides a way to partition issues by category, and thereby improving
data retrieval later
c) it saves bandwidth, by partitioning traffic by category (Joe Schmoe may
not be interested in build related issues, and can set his forum acct up to
only forward topic replies for posts in the DirectX or OpenGL ODE related
categories)

One of my my responsibilities at work involves acting as sole maintainer of
both mail lists and forums. I've found this system to work quite well, in
that it solved a variety of issues various people have brought up.

Let me know what you folks think :)

Mike

>From: "Simon Barratt" <Barog at pineapple-interactive.com>
>To: <Ode at q12.org>
broken)
>Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:27:48 +0100
>
>I'd rather we just have two mailing lists.. One kind of ode-devel and
one just 'ode'..
>Then development matters / techy discussion can go on and the helpful
people can help newbies to ODE in the general one.

>Though I'm never likely to be as active as Jon I agree that I go to
forums less than I read each mail coming in the inbox :)

>Simon

Watte
>Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 7:26 PM
>To: Ode at Q12. Org
broken)

>A forum, you have to GO TO.
>A mailing list, you get in your inbox.
>I would be (much) less active on a forum.
>
>Cheers,
>
>			/ h+

(100MB) should be enough, and the server is fast :D

>Bye, Adriano
>
>PS: The forum was set up in 30minutes, it is only to show that a Forum
is easy to use and more efficient to search something, because it has
differents section, and every section is ordered by date (like emails).

internals section. I am