[ODE] Is dJointAddHingeTorque correct?

Lukasz Wiklendt lwiklend at cs.newcastle.edu.au
Sat Oct 23 00:45:20 MST 2004

I'm trying to implement a simple motor for my AI robot project. The motor
can apply a specific amount of torque to each body of a hinge.

Having a look at the source code for dJointAddHingeTorque I see that it adds
a torque to each body. However, it doesn't specify the location at which the
torque is applied, so does this mean that dBodyAddTorque applies the torque
at the center of gravity of each of the bodies? If this is the case, and it
doesn't apply the torque at the location of the hinge joint then does this
mean that dJointAddHingeTorque is incorrect?

Assuming that I haven't made an error in my previous statements then ODE
could benefit from new functions such as dBodyAddTorqueAtPos and
dBodyAddRelTorqueAtPos. In the mean time should I simply derive the forces
from the torque and use the dBodyAdd(Rel)ForceAtPos for correct dynamics?

Thanks.