[ODE] Real rolling friction (again...)

Dimitris Papavasiliou jimmyp at hal.csd.auth.gr
Mon Oct 11 18:59:14 MST 2004

This came up in a recent thread but I'm reposting it as I consider it to be of
some importance, not only to me but maybe to others as well.

Is there some way to model real rolling friction in ode? The approach used in
the WIKI is physically wrong afaik. In fact, rolling friction is usually
modeled just like sliding friction only with a different coefficient and it
depends on the linear velocity of the body not of the contact point.

The problem is that since, in the general case, I do not know the normal force
acting on the contact point nor can I calculate it I can see no way of
implementing rolling friction on top of ODE. I have tried a few things but
came up with nothing.  Is there something I'm missing?

If it is in fact impossible to implement rolling friction on top of ODE, how
easy would it be to include it in the contact model?  API-wise all we need
would be a couple more coefficients and a few bits in surface.mode to
enable/disable it on demand.  This would be very useful since rolling
friction is important in a lot of simulation scenarios and I see no reason
why it's not in there allready.  The implementation should be quite similar
to the sliding case, shouldn't it? (I tried looking at the code but couldn't
make heads or tails of it. I'm not very familiar with the theory behind it
I'm afraid).

Dimitris