[ODE] rolling contact force

Shamyl Zakariya shamyl at zakariya.net
Fri Oct 8 14:23:12 MST 2004

All this talk about rolling friction... I have to ask a question.

I'm writing a simple game where the opponents are quasi autonomous
flocks of little spheres which you have to prevent from gathering
around your "home base". From a rolling friction standpoint I just
dampen their motion if they're not actively moving.

Anyway, I was thinking that since they're "aliens" wouldn't it be neato
if they could roll *up* the steep sides of buildings and terrain. It
would make them more formidable and creepy-like.

My thoughts on this had been that I'd have to have the spheres apply
forces along the tangent of the surface they're touching, so if they
hit a wall they might simply apply an "up" force to crawl up. The
spheres would have dBodySetGravityMode set to zero, and I'd just apply
a force pointing torwards the surface they're touching to hold them
fast.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach? I haven't done anything yet
as regards "sticky" friction, mainly I'm still working on the player
driving, camera and gun physics and whatnot.

Shamyl Zakariya
   "this is, after all, one of those movies where people spend a great
   deal of time looking at things and pointing."
	From a review of _Fantastic Voyage_