[ODE] Quadruped Walk. - TROT gait

Neelam C tina_vipul at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 11:11:48 MST 2004

Hi all,

Background:
I am working on walking module of quaruped-animal with
a TROT Gait using ODE. As you all know, in trot gait
two diagonally opposite legs move together. There are
series of calculations associated with both of these
legs, like the position (actual and desired) of body
and joints. And, of course, they have to be calculated
for each leg. Most important thing is: there is a
constant time 't' which is assiciated and each leg
should be able to finish its cycle in that period.  ie
for each t there is one step. Again remember, the legs
are moving together but the calculations are different
(since the co-ordinates are different) and both
diagonally opposite legs should finish together!

My approach: (I am using C)
1. Find time passed (this is commom to both)
2. Calculate desired position (Leg1 and Leg2)
3. Calculate desired joint angles  (Leg1 and Leg2)
4. Get actual positions and joint angles  (Leg1 and
Leg2)
5. Apply required force etc.

My concern:
As the time passes 't' would change, and reach to its
"end of cycle" and my program would still be busy
doing calculations!

I have yet not written actual code but just the
on-paper algorithm.

My question is:
Is there any better way?

Let me know if anybody needs an extra information.

Thank you in advance,
Neelam