[ODE] newbie says hi, asks questions

Oktay Ahiska oktay at panix.com
Mon Oct 4 16:29:37 MST 2004

Thank you people for the info, much appreciated.  I certainly
would have wandered off in a bizarre direction if it weren't
for y'all, thanks again.

Jon Watte wrote:
[....]

> By "bodies using CSG" I presume you mean "Geoms using CSG".
>
> The short answer is "no". The long answer is that you can do
> it yourself, by running CSG between the different shapes you
> are interested in, and tesselating the result to some level
> of precision into a triangle mesh; then feed the resulting
> triangle mesh to ODE for collision.

Yeah, that's what I meant to mean :) But I was hoping the answer
would be simpler.  Triangulating things deserves its own api, and
I doubt that I'll be able to do a good job.  Couldn't one
do something similar to ray tracing? You would figure out every
collision and then ignore the ones that lie on the discarded
parts of the resulting CSG operation.  I'm guessing figuring out
the center of mass is not a trivial matter (or is it?), but I
feel it would be easier than triangulating.

I suppose this could be better handled if it was all in the API and I
was sort of volunteering to see how hard it would be to add it but I
need guidance (and approval!) from the developers :)

Thanks again,
Oktay