[ODE] About "malloc" patch

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Mon Oct 4 09:14:36 MST 2004

> Shortly, why not use smart pointers?

I suggested more or less the same thing, and even provided an
implementation on the list (not integrated to the ODE source),
but the original submitter preferred his own method.

In my opinion, the best allocator to use would not need UNALLOC
at all; instead, it would linearly allocate from a large block
of memory, and re-set at the top of each Step() function. When
the large block (that's pre-allocated) is not large enough, then
a new block can be allocated and added to the list of allocatable
memory. An implementation much like that was also posted to the
list if you look in the archives (again, not integrated into the
ODE source).

Cheers,

			/ h+