[ODE] Car stability with lowered centre of mass leads to problems when rolling

Shamyl Zakariya shamyl at zakariya.net
Fri Oct 1 16:07:42 MST 2004

How complex a suspension are you willing to use?

I made a suspension which, while nowhere near complicated ( no
double-wishbones, for example ) did the job nicely. Also, I modeled the
behavior of a differential to keep wheel spin in line.

It's easier to describe with a screenshot:

http://home.earthlink.net/~zakariya/files/TruckPlatform.png

While I'm not writing a racing game -- this is actually just a
quasi-autonomous wheeled platform -- I've never seen it flip for any
reason other than falling off the ramp in the distance. For that, I
have ( subsequently to the screenshot ) added an automatic rollbar
which turns the car back over...

For what it's worth, this bugger takes fast sharp turns all the time --
even on bumpy surfaces -- and doesn't flip.

Shamyl