[ODE] Friction Coefficients

Andrzej Szombierski qq at kuku.eu.org
Wed Nov 17 17:37:17 MST 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Abheek Bose wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I am having some problems with friction coefficients. How are the
> values of mu in ODE related to the real world parameters. For Example,
> if i set mu as 0.6 which is a standard for rubber on concrete then the
> wheels of my car simply slips...
>
> We have tried several experiments with some real cars by making them
> climbing ramps and then simulating the same situation to find the
> corresponding mu in ODE but these do not work.
>
> Could someone please let me know how "real world" friction parameters
> can be made in ODE?

The name 'mu' is quite confusing - it corresponds to the real-world 'mu'
when you use dContactApprox1, otherwise it defines the maximum friction
force which will be applied at the joint. If you use dContactApprox1 it
is still (as the name suggests) an approximation of real-world friction,
but it works well in most cases.

--
:: Andrzej Szombierski :: qq at kuku.eu.org :: http://kuku.eu.org ::
:: anszom at bezkitu.com  :: radio bez kitu :: http://bezkitu.com ::