[ODE] Best means of determing the strength of a contact?

Marty Rabens marty at rabens.com
Wed Mar 31 17:45:27 MST 2004

That's pretty much what I do, and it seems to produce good results.

I take the relative velocity of the two bodies (body2 velocity - body1
velocity), and take the dot product of that with contact normal, and use
the absolute value of the result.  I filter this to only trigger sounds
above a certain threshold (so rolling contacts don't trigger a
continuous stream of low amplitude sounds).

  -- Marty Rabens

Megan