[ODE] Simple character control

Colin Bonstead colin at cyan.com
Mon Mar 29 08:51:36 MST 2004

I'm trying to add movement control for my avatar.  Right now, it's just a
sphere, and I'd like it to scoot around the environment (not roll, because I'd
like the pivot to keep it's vertical orientation).  The velocity of the avatar
is derived from animation data each frame.

>From reading the docs and looking through the archives, it seems like a motor
joint is the way to go.  The only one I see is the the angular motor.  That
seems like it could be handy for keeping the avatar upright (restrict motion
in two of the axis), and turning (around the vertical axis).  But how can I do
linear motion?  Unless I'm missing something, you could only do that with a
motor if you were rolling the object.

Colin