[ODE] XODE - should angles be in degrees or radians?

Chris Jefferson caj at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Mar 19 12:08:11 MST 2004

Jon Watte wrote:

>I thought we'd already agreed that a single format is better, because otherwise some importers will forget to switch on the option.
>
>Radians is fine. Dividing by 180/pi on export is a no-brainer for a writer.

One reason I would vote in favour of degrees is that when we are
defining objects, it would be nice to be able to exactly define right
angles.

For example, if I want a right-angle I can write "degrees=90". I can't
exactly specify a right angle in radians. While it might not matter, it
seems somehow nice to be able to get these things exact (unless you
allow specifiying angles as a multiple of pi, but then we come back to
multiple represenations again)

Chris