[ODE] XODE trimesh structure - please vote

Nate W coding at natew.com
Tue Mar 16 22:25:07 MST 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, William Denniss wrote:

> We need to evaluate just how useful XSLT transforms are.  I did a bit of
> digging as I haven't had much experience with them and it seems that
> they could be extremely useful in conversions.  XODE to binary seems a
> possibility, or even going the other way say converting a X3D mesh into
> an XODE trimesh.

I don't know about XML->binary or binary->XML, but XSLT is very useful for
XML->XML transformations.  At my day job I'm working with some code that
converts XML documents back and forth between two schemas, and it's pretty
cool stuff.  The source and destination schemas can be modified pretty
much independently, and if the translation XSL is updated accordingly then
everything still works.

> It seems XSLT could avoid the need for coding a converter entirely -
> that is a big plus in my book.

Yes and no... the application code for the converter can be super-simple,
along the lines of "XslConvert (inputStream, outputStream, xsl);"  But the
XSL itself is basically still code, just code in another language.  I do
think it's pretty useful though.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA