[ODE] XODE trimesh structure - please vote

Shaul Kedem shaul_kedem at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 21:47:09 MST 2004

Hi,
 From my experience, you'll be surprised how fast XML
is. For example, yafray (yet another raytracer -
www.yafray.org ) stores its meshes in an XML file.
These XML files can get pretty large but yafray
doesn't seem to mind, it parses the files very quickly
(milisecs) - using expat, I think.

 The difference in performance between #1 and #2
should be that big, using the right tools it should be
minimized to a couple of extra CPU instructions per
entry, which isn't that big of a deal (because option
#2 will require parsing within the CDATA section as
well)

 Also, please remember that we need a fully XML
compliant format to work with XSLT, XPATH and other
tools which rely on the XML-ness of the data.

 *Yet another argument* for option #1 is that if you
use option #2 you'll have to parse the mesh
information twice: once for XML and then another time
for the commas and other XODE specific format. This
means you'll probably have the same performance in
both cases...

 Anyway, don't forget that the only point which will
"suffer" (if at all) will be at the loading and
creation of the objects. Assuming you will not load so
many ODE objects (even in a game) you can load it at
the start of the execution and bind it to the world
when needed. Today's computers have enough RAM to deal
with that.

Shaul

http://www.xmlmania.com/documents_article_112-Binary-Killed-the-XML-Star-.php