[ODE] Implementing new friction models

Ed Jones ed.jones at oracle.com
Tue Mar 16 11:25:18 MST 2004

Have you looked into using the force dependent slip settings of the
contact joint?
 From the ODE docs;

"This is useful for modeling some situations, in particular tires. For
example consider a car at rest on a road. Pushing the car in its
direction of travel will cause it to start moving (i.e. the tires will
start rolling). Pushing the car in the perpendicular direction will have
no effect, as the tires do not roll in that direction. However - if the
car is moving at a velocity /v/, applying a force /f/ in the
perpendicular direction will cause the tires to slip on the road with a
velocity proportional to /f/*/v/ (Yes, this really happens).

To model this in ODE set the tire-road contact parameters as follows:
set friction direction 1 in the direction that the tire is rolling in,
and set the FDS slip coefficient in friction direction 2 to /k/*/v/,
where /v/ is the tire rolling velocity and /k/ is a tire parameter that
you can chose based on experimentation."

I've had reasonable results from this in the past.

Cheers,
Ed.