[ODE] XML ODE Data Interchange Format (revision 5)

William Denniss lists at omegadelta.net
Mon Mar 15 18:58:34 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 13:44, Nate W wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Jon Watte wrote:
>
> > Also, putting the x, y and z as attributes of the "v" tag seems a poor
> > choice if file size is what you want.
>
> I don't think size should be a goal, or even much of a consideration, for
> this format.  Application-specific binary formats will always be superior
> in cases where size is a concern, but for a common file format (emphasis
> on "common" as in "common to multiple applications), the main concern
> should be interoperability.
>
> I'd MUCH rather see things done in such a way that every value in the file
> can be obtained via an XPath query.  That will allow us to use XSL
> transforms to convert files from "XML4ODE" to any other, and will allow us
> to convert any other "XPath-addressable" format to XML4ODE, for use in any
> editor that supports XML4ODE.  Or XODE, or whatever this format is called.

XODE is it's name.

The XSL argument is a very good one, and one which solves the whole
ordering format argument (ie. being able to specify x,z,y) without the
need for smarter importers.

I guess I should go back to what I originally had.  But I think we may
as well use abbreviations for the highly used vertex and index tags as
the space saving is considerable, and the disadvantages negligible.

Will.

--
William Denniss - will@ http://tanksoftware.com/