[ODE] XML ODE Data Interchange Format

Jani Laakso jani.laakso at itmill.com
Sun Mar 7 17:24:43 MST 2004

Steve Baker wrote:

> Bad idea.  This still presumes that the ODE file is the center of the
> universe - ie in loading this file, we also pull in the 3D files that
> it refers to.

How about letting editors to do whatever they wish with the ext node?
One option is that they insert there their own identity number only and
the visual side binding is handled externally. Using ODEd has it's own
methodology, using juice has it's own methodology etc. But physics,
without visual representation, can be initialized quite automatically to
your custom application using editors and XODE.

> It's just better to keep all references to skinning geometry out of
> the way of the physics and all references to physics out of the way
> of the 3D skinning process - letting the application connect them
> together.

I'd vote for letting the editors exploit <ext> tag as they wish. I
assume you mean the same thing as I?

--
Jani Laakso / IT Mill Ltd | Tel. +358 40 5898086 | http://www.itmill.com