[ODE] Large mass and accuracy

Bob Dowland Bob.Dowland at blue52.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 18:42:29 MST 2004

I came accross a proper analysis of this somewhere (sorry I haven't been able to dig out the ref - not very useful I know...) but, the long and the short of it was that large differences in mass are something that need to be *handled* in the sense that most solvers will throw a sicky of one sort or another unless they've been specifically designed to cope.

Do some of the commercial systems do this? - not sure but mostly not I believe, as Jon said numerical stability is already enough of a nightmare.

One approach that might be workable is to somehow "special-case" contacts on relative mass - if you imagine what happens when you throw even a fairly large thing at a tank (ie the thing bounces off and the tank doesn't really notice), you can maybe see where I'm going. I'm thinking that you might be able to treat the impact between the TV and the Sherman Tank simply as a collision between the TV and some terrain.

I'm not saying this is completely straightforward (or totally realistic) but if you have access to the solver setup code it's probably possible to slip in something of this sort just to see how it all works out.

Just an idea...

The information contained in this email and its attachments is
confidential.  It is intended only for the named addressees
and may not be disclosed to anyone else without consent from
Blue 52 Games Limited. Blue 52 give no warranty that this email
message (including any attachments to it) is free of any virus
or other harmful matter and accepts no responsibility for any
loss or damage resulting from the recipient receiving, opening
 or using it.