[ODE] Damping

james at 6msoft.com james at 6msoft.com
Sat Jul 31 10:51:48 MST 2004

Clamping prevents velocity from reversing in the event someone puts a very
large damping value with a very large time step in (and somehow I think
that a flying object that suddenly reverses directions might not be
desired). And how is it less of an issue with forces in this case? Forces
are scaled linearly by the time step in the same way I am scaling the
damping values. You end up with the "problem" of 5 steps at 0.2 not
equalling the same result as 20 steps at 0.05, so as I said before, you
yield the same results, but simply multiply and then divide by mass
(anyone guess what mass/mass is equal to?).

-James.