[ODE] Simple player representation

Michael Lacher michael.lacher at hlw.co.at
Wed Jul 28 18:00:34 MST 2004

Mark Riedesel wrote:

> I've been trying to come up with a reasonably useful, yet simple way,
> to represent little player objects in ODE. Going through the archives
> I noticed quite a few people using a single sphere, and either
> applying forces or torques to move them around.
>
> I'm curious if anyone has tried a model something like this:
> http://dugnet.com/klown/pics/capsulesample.png

Sound too complicated for a "simple" player but would work well to
simulate collisions of the torso with the environment i guess :)

> It works alright, the main problem is keeping the capsule on top from
> just tipping over and having the whole thing fall on its side. I'm
> currently using a ball joint inside the "foot" sphere..

Why make the capsule a body at all ? Wouldn't it be much better to just
put a non-simulated collider capsule there inside your player model,
that just senses collisions with the environment and then prevents the
player from running in those directions ?