[ODE] Implementing springs for ALife

robert.leclerc at yale.edu robert.leclerc at yale.edu
Thu Jul 22 12:29:06 MST 2004

REPOST: Forgot to put a subject line

My research is in ALife and I have used ODE and Vortex so I have *
some *
familiarity with physics engines. Although it has been about a year
and a
half since I used the API's so I will have to refamiliarize myself
with
ODE. Currently I am looking to move away from "hinge" driven creatures
"spring" driven creatures. An example of this is with the creatures of
Sodayplay: http://www.sodaplay.com/. As well as Fluidiom:
http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2004/07/20/fluidiom.html

I am hoping someone might be able to give me some advice on this
before I
begin to tackle this problem. i.e. what do I need to know about
implementing a "muscle" type system? how much custom work will need to
go
into this? Is it problematic that there are "cycles" in the overall
morphology?

It seems to me that slider joints may be a decent start for a muscle.
Essentially this will be somewhat like a spring-mass system used in
cloth
simulation but moving to 3-dimensions and adding in means to affect
spring
tension. I cant really remember, but I believe there are some
parameters I
can set so the attached bodies are not so firmly welded to the joint
(?).
ODE doesn't seem to have "multi-point tension spring" which seem to be
what is used in Sodayplay
(http://www.sodaplaycentral.com/articles/tension1.php).

I would be *very* interested in hearing *anything* anyone would have
offer on this.

Thanks,

RDL

Rob Leclerc