[ODE] (no subject)

luigi at realityslip.com luigi at realityslip.com
Sun Jul 18 12:10:39 MST 2004

Hi Brian,

I was actually doing something similar, unforunately I get
inconsistancies/unsynchronized data.  I have been told that you cannot simply
integrate angular velocities to get pitch and roll.  Consider a pipe loop.  If
I drive up a surface (head on) my pitch will increase...if I start turning
right while I'm driving up the surface, my roll will increase as well.  Now if
I drive off the surface with 90 degrees of roll (so driving straight off the
side of the pipe), gravity will correct my roll value when I slam back onto the
ground but pitch will still be high.  Does that make sense?

Here's what I'm doing to integrate the velocities:

Convert world angular velocity to local (multiply by inverted body to world
matrix).
Integrate with previous frame in respect to time. (angles += AngVelLast +
AngVel) * dt)

I'm not quite sure why you were dividing by two in there but I tried that too
and still experienced what I mentioned above.  What did you mean by "don't
forget the accelerations?".  Should I integrate from those to velocity to
angles instead?  Are you also using this for a motion simulation platform?

Thanks for the help,

Luigi