[ODE] Picking objects

Bob Dowland Bob.Dowland at blue52.co.uk
Fri Jul 9 17:27:58 MST 2004

Guys,

some time ago I had to simulate a robotic arm and control the pos/ori of the end effector using output from a 6d pos/ori tracker - lots of fun. What I did with that might be of interest and might not but there we are.

I used what you might call a "reference proxy" which responded perfectly (ie kinematically not dynamically) to the user input. The motion of this proxy was totally free and unsullied by the ravages of physics/collision response - it could go through walls, outreach the arm and so on.. The arm then just "did the best it could" to follow it. Where "doing the best it could" meant not violating it's various dynamic and geometric constraints. This worked very nicely.

As far as spring and damper mechanisms go the main problem seems to be the tuning issue. In particular in graphical sims the spring (and underlying metaphor :) ) will often get "stretched" far beyond any reasonable physical limits / dynamic operating range - so in a sense the model breaks down. One awful hack that works quite well is to treat the spring damper as a black box, tune stiffness and so forth to taste (so that things are good where you mostly need them) then maintaining a very clear idea of what velocity/acceleration ranges you want to allow just clamp the outputs.

Bob.