[ODE] how to glue bodies together ?

Nate W coding at natew.com
Wed Jan 28 18:36:34 MST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Roel van Dijk wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 January 2004 08:58, Nate W wrote:
> > Fixed joints (and sliders 'motorized' to be immobile) require math, and
> > math requires time.  If you got rid of those joints and just merged the
> > masses and geoms and used a single body, you'd gain some performance.
>
> Yes, but he needs them because he uses breakable joints. He has
> objects that break apart when they crash. That's something you can't
> do with a single body, many geoms approach.

I don't see why creating two bodies from one would be any more difficult
than creating one body from two...  Just assign each of the bodies the
appropriate masses and geoms, and let them go their separate ways.

Knowing when to split the "combined" body would take some work, but it's a
solvable problem.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA