[ODE] Cylinder-cylinder collison bug?

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sun Jan 18 08:58:15 MST 2004

After staring at the code for awhile, it seems to me that the two main
issues are a miscalculation (or poor approximation) of the contact depth in
the last if {}/else{} clause of dCylCyl(), leading to penetration at rest;
and the fact that only one contact point is generated, which makes it hard
to achieve a stable configuration when something is resting against a
circular edge.  (A similar problem might be responsible for objects
jittering and sliding when they land entirely on the cylinder's flat edge).

If those two issues were dealt with, the code would probably be OK.  Does
anyone know how to contact Konstantin Slipchenko, the original author?
Perhaps he's already made some fixes that haven't found their way back into
the ODE distribution.  The address I found for him, slipch at gsc-game.kiev.ua,
didn't bounce but also hasn't garnered a reply.

-- jm