[ODE] Maintaining joint constraints

Noley Edge noleyedge at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 09:23:21 MST 2004

I have created several joints between bodies.  Some of
them are in different spaces, and joint groups than
others.  However, all that are in the same joint group
are also in the same space.  All spaces are inside of
one world space.  There are a total of 3 spaces.  I
have set global ERP and CFM values as well as those
values on the joints were appropriate. Most are hinge
and ball joints connecting boxes.  Within my collision
callback, I check to see if two geoms are in the same
space, and if they are I do not create contacts
points.

My problem is that the joints are behaving strange.
They only keep the bodies attached to them together
for a moment before they collide with an outside
geometry(one with a different space). The geometries
also seem to be colliding within their respective
spaces.

How can I maintain these joints more effectively?