[ODE] GUI Editor, to XML or not?

Steve Baker sjbaker1 at airmail.net
Thu Feb 26 18:15:05 MST 2004

Frederic Marmond wrote:
> I do agree that XML is very open and so on...
> But:
> - to introduce a big overhead in file size
> - load/save time may be long (parser)

This may be true - but:

1) Just how big do you thing physics files are ever likely to get?
    How many joints?   How many bytes per joint?   I'd guess a typical
    model would have less than 100 joints and less than 100 bytes per
    joint.  That's a very modest 10kbyte file size.

2) Using on-the-fly compression with libz (the library on which gzip/gunzip
    are based), XML files compress down quite nicely.

Taking both of those into consideration - I'd be suprised to see these
files being more than 3kbytes.  Considering that whatever geometry it's
connected to will likely consume WAY more than that - and even just one
modest texture map will completely swamp that number...it's not really
a concern IMHO.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1 at airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker at link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net