[ODE] ODE on Linux IA-64?

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Wed Feb 25 11:58:17 MST 2004

>  From what I saw, the pointer is only cast to/from an integer at this
> location to do the alignment calculations. So if you just replace the
> cast to int cast with an apropriate 64 bit integer cast (unsinged int64
> ??) you should remove the warnings without disturbing any code.

The appropriate type is "size_t" which is the maximum size of an object, and
thus the maximum size of a pointer on systems with flat memory. An
alternative would be ptrdiff_t, which is the maximum distance between two
pointers (and thus has a chance of working on segmented memory, too). These
types are ALWAYS the right choice on each platform, so you don't need to #if
anything.

A distant third is "long", which is "usually" the same size of a pointer (if
you use LP-64) except Microsoft decided "long" is 32 bits on 64-bit Windows.
Go figure.

Cheers,

			/ h+