[ODE] Limited Physics for Bipeds

Alaric Holloway emumonger at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 14:02:13 MST 2004

Hi,

I'm beginning work on a biped-mech-combat sort of
game, ala Battlezone. I've been browsing through the
ODE documentation and demos, and I must say ODE looks
pretty dang solid.

However, I'm not entirely sure if the engine is suited
for the sort of thing I have in mind. These mechanical
bipeds are going to be very agile, running, jumping,
climbing, very much alike a bird's legs would behave.
I want to be able to simulate these movements
convincingly -- their legs should compress to absorb
shock, or prepare for a jump for example. This fluid
motion is what I hope to be able to achieve from ODE.
But at the same time, I do not want the bipeds to be
tipping over or collapsing as they would be normally
-- this would not be suitable for the type of gameplay
I have planned.

Essentially, I was wondering if this sort of "limited
physics" is possible with ODE, or would I just be
better off creating something from scratch? I
apologize if my question seems a bit too broad or
vague... any feedback would be appreciated.

-Alaric