[ODE] SIGSEGV in dSolveLCP() at ode/src/lcp.cpp:1137

jon klein jklein at spiderland.org
Thu Feb 12 08:07:36 MST 2004

On Feb 12, 2004, at 6:56 AM, Adam D. Moss wrote:

> I'm quite interested.  This is probably useful for non-realtime
> complex systems that insist on using StepSlow; it's also essential
> for any platforms that don't have alloca(), though I do suspect that
> the fairly massive heap churn could render it unpleasant in those
> situations.  What do other people think?

I have been using this solution for a while with real-time
simulations and the performance penalty has been negligible.
For me, it's a small price to pay to have confidence that the final
simulation will be stable.

I'm dealing with simulations in which number of objects, joints,
interactions and other factors are not known at compile-time and
are not known at initialization-time.  This makes it difficult
for me to pick a stack size or otherwise try to design limited
memory use into the simulation.

Ultimately, yes, a reusable stack on the heap would solve these
problems as well, with less overhead.  But I don't know that
anybody's written one yet, and in the meantime, malloc/free
is very useful.

- jon klein