[ODE] swapping axes

Nate W coding at natew.com
Tue Feb 10 22:06:58 MST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Jon Watte wrote:

> > But, wouldn't it mean a bunch of extra multiplications with
> > every timestep?  I'm a little concerned about the CPU overhead
> > that would entail... should I be?
>
> "Extra" compared to what? Compared to a "solution" that's broken?

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.  Here's the comparison I had in mind:

1) transform positions and orientations going into ODE (yes, with
multiplications rather than just swapping values <G>), when setting up the
scene; and transform them again, for each rendered object, when rendering
each frame.

2) use a geom transform for the terrain geometry when setting up the
scene.

On second thought, the latter is probably faster if one uses
dSpaceCollide2 (terrain, other_stuff).  I hadn't thought of that.

But on third thought, I'm not sure that a geom transform would change
heightmap collision at all, since the heightmap collider doesn't use the
heightmap's R matrix.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA