[ODE] Machine to fast and a possible bug?

Gerhard W. Gruber sparhawk at gmx.at
Wed Dec 15 22:03:36 MST 2004

I now found out how to compile the tests and I got a problem with it. On my
company machine the samples work perfectly, apart from a slight missbehaviour
that I describe afterwards, but this machine is much slower then the one I use
at home.

Now on my home machine (running Windows 2000) I have the following behaviour
(with all test apps that I tried). The windows are opened and I can see the
renderwindow with the background moving extremly fast. I can move the ground
with the mouse, but after a few seconds, the backround gets slower to it's
normal speed (same speed I saw on my office machine). But as soon as the
background becomes normal, the window doesn't respond to any input anymore and
I have to kill it. The close button on the console window still works but I
can't do anything with the renderwindow. It's locked up.

Now the strange behaviour. I switched random position of new models off. Then
I pressed s for creating spheres but I didn't release it, so there were a lot
of speheres created. When they fall down they are positioned such that they
create a tower and they stay this way. :) IMO its pretty unrealistic that
spheres would be so perfectly balanced that they would stay on top of each
other. Now my question is, is this just a problem of configuring the library
properly or is this a general problem of the library? Actually I would expect
that the spheres would drop to the floor. How can this be avoided?

And another bug. When I create an extreme number of objects the test app
crashes. Is there a limitation in ODE how many objects it can handle? Or is
this just a problem of the test app?

--
Gerhard Gruber

Für jedes menschliche Problem gibt es immer eine einfache Lösung:
Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)