[ODE] Using ODE in Doom 3

Geoff Carlton gcarlton at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 15 09:20:42 MST 2004

I agree.  However there are two points to think about.

Doom3 had lame physics in their game (an occasional box that could fall
over).  I don't know what the underlying physics system is like, it is
possible that the engine can do far more impressive things than the
"vanilla" effort of Doom3.  It would be worth looking through the Doom3
code to see if it indeed can handle what you want before trying to
integrate another physics engine.  Sidenote:  Did they roll their own,
or use own of the existing commercial physics libs?

Also, if you are doing a TC and heavily using physics, then I'd consider
going for HL2 instead.  This game shipped with Havok, which is very
expensive and very good, and is already networked (see HL2DM).  You're
not going to get anywhere near as good results with Doom3 and ODE,
period.  Of course, this is out of the scope of the question, and maybe
those Carmack shadows are more important than lots of gravgun toilets
flying around the map. :-)

Geoff