[ODE] handling large forces

Graham Fyffe gfyffe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 11:16:26 MST 2004

Hi everyone.  I'm having a really difficult time with the
dBodyAddForce type functions and large forces.  If I had large (100000
N) random forces to a 2000 kg body, the simulator explodes.  I assume
this is some kind of numerical instability?  The problem I'm having
is, how can I manage my forces to keep things under wraps?  There
seems to be no clear range of acceptable forces... a solution that
clamps forces to a maximum value seems highly unstable, since it also
seems dependent on the current velocity, and the state of other bodies
that might interact with it through joints.

Has anyone had success in forcing dBodyAddForce to be stable?  Thanks!

- Graham Fyffe