[ODE] valgrind memcheck with ode

Krister Wolff krister.wolff at mc2.chalmers.se
Fri Dec 3 15:39:33 MST 2004

I'm using ODE (v.0.5) to simulate bipeds, evolving locomotion control
programs with Linear GP.
The simulations run for quite some time (between 24hrs and a week of real
time) on a Pentium IV class PC (with Win XP pro sp2, MSVC 6.0). Now, some of
the runs crashes unexpectedly after some time (usually more than a couple of
hours), and I'm not able to figure out why. Because of this, I turned into
Valgrind. Running Valgrind memcheck (under Suse 9.0), with one of my
programs gave the following complaints:

==2056==
==2056== Use of uninitialised value of size 8
==2056==    at 0x805610E: swapProblem(double**, double*, double*, double*,
double*, double*, int*, int*, int*, int, int, int, int, int) (in
/home/krister/041203_1/SEvHumS.exe)
==2056==    by 0x3F5273F4: ???
==2056==

now, the 'swapProblem' function is not within my code, but resides in the
ode package, in the lcp.cpp file, under
C:\ode-0.5\ode\src\

Is this some kind of "normal" behavior?

Don't know if this could be harmful or not, or if it could be related to my
crashing problems.

I got no complaints from valgrind about my own code, however...

Does anyone on the list have a clue about this?

Thanks,
Krister

Krister Wolff, PhD candidate

Applied Quantum Physics and Complex Systems Laboratory
Dept. of Microtechnology and Nanoscience MC2
Chalmers University of Technology
S-412 96 Gothenburg Sweden

Visiting Address:....Kemivägen 9, office D621
Phone:...............+46 (0)31 772 8032
Fax:.................+46 (0)31 772 1919
Email:...............krister.wolff[at]mc2.chalmers.se
http://frt.fy.chalmers.se/cs/people/wolff.html