[ODE] Triangle mesh

Shamim shamim.akhtar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 10:21:33 MST 2004

Hi guys,

I am very new to ODE. Started last week. First of all let me
congratulate to ODE community for bringing such a magnificient
software.

All said now I would like to come to the problem that I am facing.

I have built a program that traverses a model hierarchy and creates
ODE hash spaces for parent nodes and simple boxes as geoms for the
renderable meshes. This works fine. But when I changed the box geoms
to triangle meshes by converting renderable mesh to ODE trimesh
everything gets screwed up. Basically I have a simple triangle mesh
that acts as a test terrain and a box which is also a triangle mesh. I
let the box fall freely due to gravity. Sometimes my box sticks to the
terrain but sometimes it just penetrates through the terrain and falls
below. When i change my ODE geoms to box everything works fine. Whats
the problem here? Sometimes I also see that some part of the box mesh
is not touching the terrain as it should behave in actual cases.

I have serched the mailing list archives. I made sure that the
windings for the triangles are front facing (as per DX). Is this the
correct winding? I am not providing any normals in the creation of
triangle meshes.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

~Cheers
Shamim.