[ODE] Yet Another Car Simulation With Problems

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Wed Aug 18 08:42:43 MST 2004

> 1) Chassis mass = 1000 kg, wheel mass = 20 kg; is there any
> inherent problem with these values if I keep everything

If the simulation is stable, then the numbers are OK. The magnitude
of the numbers affect the stability more than they affect things
like feel/behavior.

> 2) Damping - I've seen damping used several times; is it to
> stabilize the simulation or to simulate aerodynamic drag?

Both.

> 3) Progressive steering? Right now I'm using "digital" steering,

Yes, you need this. Note that, when you turn the wheel of the
car, it actually turns against the ground. This induces torque
on the chassis itself. I don't know if this is enough to cause
the skid that you're getting, but it's quite possibly one of
the reasons.

> 4) Collision model - I tried using a slip model for the wheels
> but I couldn't find a good set of { surface_mu, tyre_mu,
> tyre_slip } that didn't either make the terrain as an ice
> surface or made the car tip over easily (which it didn't before
> since the CoG is at the same height as the wheels).

CoG needs to be the same height as the GROUND (i e, as the
contacts between wheels and surface) to eliminate most flips.

Btw: if you use more than two boxes for the chassis, I'd
suggest using a coarse trimesh instead. It'll probably be more
efficient, AND you get a better fit to the chassis.

Last, I made a similar app, with the simulation source file
included, available at:
http://www.speakeasy.net/~hplus/carworld-040730.zip
Feel free to read it for inspiration, or tweak the tweakable
parameters.

I've also found that making sure the "inner" wheel twists more
than the "outer" wheel actually make steering better -- this is
not part of the archive on the web page.

That being said, I'm not so sure that using sphere for wheels
is actually good enough... I'm debating whether to keep going
this way, or to turn to box + four rays (which is what most real
car games use), or try my luck with the cylinder collider.
Box + 4 rays is easier to get to behave well, but it's much
harder to get the wheels to affect the environment when you do
it that way :-(

Cheers,

			/ h+