[ODE] Sliding force + constraint force = horizontal/vertical trajectories?

brel at arcor.de brel at arcor.de
Wed Aug 18 15:40:56 MST 2004

Hello!

I have been using an ODE simulation in my masters project, i modelled a two hinge joint arm that can move in the horizontal plane and that drags a "pen" along to draw lines. to control it I applied torques to the joints, rather than to set the velocity. What I noticed is that, if there was no or a very low torque applied to the "ellbow" joint, i.e. the forearm was dragged along with the upper arm, the trajectory the pen followed was EXACTLY horizontal or diagonal. I checked it by turning the world model by 45 degree, it is a thing in ode, not in the controller. The effect disappears without contact friction and gets weaker as  the torque applied to the ellbow gets larger, so I reckon it has something to do with the combination of the sliding friction model and the constraint force model. Can anybody help me with that?

Best

Marieke

Arcor-DSL: jetzt ohne Einrichtungspreis einsteigen oder wechseln
Sie sparen 99,95 Euro. Arcor-DSL ist in vielen Anschlussgebieten
verfügbar. http://www.arcor.de/home/redir.php/emf-dsl-1