[ODE] Custom Aircraft model - ODE Integration

Devrim Erdem devrim at machsim.com
Sat Aug 14 16:57:09 MST 2004

Hello ode'ers,

I have a flight dynamics model of an aircraft, this model is written in
pure C++ and does math and physics. It generates its own forces,
calculates its position, orientation and a lot more.

I would like to use this model with ODE so that it can interact with
other rigid bodies in the scene which are controlled by ODE.

For example when the aircraft is on the runway, it shall be possible
that the aircraft crashes into a truck and the results shall be
realistic and based on ODE physics. Both the truck and the aircraft
shall be affected. The truck shall be handled by ODE and I need to pass
the impact forces to the aircraft model and it takes care about them.

Since I haven't been doing ODE for a long time, I would like to consult
the experts before I start coding.

How should I design such a system and which ODE classes/concepts shall I
utilize that development is correct, preferably painless and rapid.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Devrim Erdem.