[ODE] Car Simulation(Lots of problems)

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Wed Aug 11 03:19:25 MST 2004

The ODE documentation actually addresses some of these issues.

I don't use Bounce in the demo. However, when you slam into
some object, the integrator has to apply enough force so that
you both negate the velocity into the object, AND you move
the object out of the penetration in the next time step. This
means that you will get some non-zero velocity out of the
penetration even with zero bounce. You can reduce this effect
by reducing the global ERP, but that will make the entire
simulation much squishier. You can also reduce the effect by
making the time step smaller, because penetrations during a
single time step will be smaller.
There's no parameter named "bounce" so it's un-clear what you
are referring to -- Recoil? That's used when firing grenades.

I haven't paid that much attention to the wheels when pushing
into static objects -- I'd assume that they fix themselves as
soon as you stop pushing? If so, it's probably just the
inherent flex of the joint (controlled by ERP) making itself
visible. It could also be the fact that the wheels are actually
spheres, but are drawn as cylinders (so you catch on the side
a little bit).

I haven't seen the system explode; I've tweaked the damping
applied so that it seems stable to me. However, you can probably
add more damping if you want to avoid some explosion I haven't
seen.

Cheers,

			/ h+