[ODE] Pushing through collisions

Colin Bonstead colin at cyan.com
Thu Apr 29 08:48:56 MST 2004

>1a) Side note, for Colin... don't set velocities directly. I'm sure
>you've been told so before. :) But I guess you weren't told how to
>give constant velocity to your avatar in a simple way using forces.
>Just create a simple motor joint with two constraints in J, one along
>desired axis of motion, another orthogonal to it. Put desired
>velocity in the right side of first row and zero in the right side of
>second row, and finaly set hi/lo limits to +/- desired force (F=M/a).

In my defense, I inherited the velocity setting code, and it worked fine
before so I didn't want to try and change it.  :)  I did really want to
use ODE's motorized joints for setting the velocity when I started using
it, but I couldn't come up with a way that would work.  What type of
joint would you use?  The only one I can think of that would work the
way you describe would be the slider joint, and I would think something
bad would happen if you attached 2 of those to one object.  Maybe the
Croteam engine has a type of joint that ODE doesn't.