[ODE] Why no __declspec(dllexport)

gl gl at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 27 20:22:32 MST 2004

> Do exactly what ODE does: Make them static.

Global functions?

> Right, but the issues are the same, the only (significant) difference is
> the time the linking happens.  But we're discussing how to specify what
> should & shouldn't be linked.  That's independent of compile time vs.
> run-time linking.
<snip>
> You're also missing my point: specifying exports for DLLs is
> conceptually the same as specifying exports for static libs.

See my other mail (about security/exported symbols).

> > So is 'static' used on other compilers to specify DLL exports?
>
> Yes, on other operating systems.

Fair enough - I can't comment as I don't know the details (and that's where
the Devil likes to hang out ; ).

You still haven't told me what the _problems_ of the declspec approach are.
But I guess we should take this offline.
--
gl