[ODE] Why no __declspec(dllexport)

Martin C. Martin martin at metahuman.org
Tue Apr 27 08:11:39 MST 2004

Dominique Louis wrote:

> This is probably a silly question, but how to non-microsoft compilers
> know that a function is to be exported from within a Shared Object/DLL (
> for example )?

The same way Microsoft compilers do static libraries: export all
non-static functions.  I think.  Can anyone confirm this?

It strikes me as another attempt by Microsoft to provide a non-standard
way of doing something, to make it harder for people to support both
Windows & other platforms.  When you're the biggest platform, this helps
you and hurts others.  But maybe it was well intentioned mechanism that
in retrospect has some big disadvantages.

- Martin