[ODE] more air friction

Andrew Aye AndrewA at terminalreality.com
Sat Apr 24 15:17:25 MST 2004

I think you're worrying too much about accuracy or "realism".  If you wanted
to be "accurate" then you would also have to take into account that air
"friction", has as a principal component fluidic drag - which is dependent
on not only the square of the velocity - but more importantly on the
cross-sectional area of the object compared to the direction of motion.  ie.
Any air friction calculation that you're thinking of doing is most likely a
huge kludge/approximation - so trying to distinguish between t0 and t1 for
reasonable size dt is going to be relatively insignificant error when
compared to the errors introduced by the design/approximation of the system
in the first place.  As a first order kludge to get objects to simply stop
rolling, I just applied a counter force and moment to imitate a linear
resistance.

 - Andrew Aye