[ODE] initializing Hinge joint with a given angle that is not zero by default

dussane dussane at voila.fr
Thu Apr 22 12:51:22 MST 2004

Hello,

I have a little problem with initializing a Hinge Anchor.

When I create a hinge joint between two objects, the initial angle
is considered as reference (by default, angle = 0). Does anyone
know how to set this initial angle to a different value *without*
moving anything? (I would like the initial position of the hinge
to be considered as -PI/2 or PI/2 angle - is there a way to do this
without hacking into ODE  code?).

Thanks!

-nicolas

ps: here is a piece of code, if it can be of any help...

--- begin code

	anchorJoint[0] = dJointCreateHinge (world,0);
	dJointAttach (anchorJoint[0],wallbrick[0],wallbrick[1]);   // attach two neighboring cubes.
	dJointSetHingeAnchor (anchorJoint[0],x0+BOXSIZE/2,y0,z0+BOXSIZE/2); // connected at the middle of the two upper facing edges
	dJointSetHingeAxis (anchorJoint[0],0,1,0);
 	(...)
	dJointSetHingeParam (anchorJoint[0],dParamLoStop,-M_PI/2);	// what I would like to have : initially, the hinge angle *is* -M_PI/2
	dJointSetHingeParam (anchorJoint[0],dParamHiStop,M_PI/2);
	dJointSetHingeParam (anchorJoint[0],dParamBounce,0);
	dJointSetHingeParam (anchorJoint[0],dParamFMax,10);
	dJointSetHingeParam (anchorJoint[0],dParamFudgeFactor,0);
    	dJointSetHingeParam (anchorJoint[0],dParamVel,freeParam);  // freeParam is user-controlled ( ~[-1,+1] )

--- end code

ps2: I *may* have sent this message twice - if this is the case, sorry for the inconvenience :-/