[ODE] Initial position

Martin C. Martin martin at metahuman.org
Wed Apr 21 21:19:56 MST 2004

Don Burns wrote:

> My previous question regarding using joints with composite geometry seems
> to have stumped the jury,

Quite the opposite: the problem is most likely in your nearCallback,
which someone asked you to post to the list, but you never did.  That
the people on this list are reluctant to spend their spare time surfing
to your site and digging through your code for the one function they
asked for, hardly counts as "stumpping the jury."

> When I'm using a simple world (single big plane) and placing my model at
> 0,0,0, things behave nicely.  When I take my model and put it into a real
> world (position is now 16068.0, 7820.0, 25.5, with heading 160.0) the
> model flings itself into wild gyrations and produces NANs after about 20
> frames.
>
> Is there a trick to initializing (or re-initializing) the position and
> attitude of a rigid body before doing a dWorldStep() ?

Did you make sure to translate all bodies and joints by the same amount?
  Also, an orientation is either three euler angles (in radians), the
four numbers of a quaternion, or a 3x3 matrix.  What do you mean by
"with heading of 160.0"?

- Martin